Renewing a New York Driver's LicenseWhen your NY driver's license expires, you are required to renew it at an NY DMV. The process is a bit simpler than applying for your NY drivers license but pay attention.The following information will teach you how to renew your driver's license in New York through the mail, online, in person, or over the phone.
When It's Time to Renew Your New York Driver's LicenseYou are required to renew NY license after every eight years. Keep your eyes peeled, you will receive a renewal notice from the NY Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) 50 days before your license expires. You can renew your license one year before its date of expiry. There are three ways on how to renew your license.
Online NY License RenewalVisit the New York DMV Renew License webpage. You are required to have passed a vision test before starting the application process. Visit vision test providers who have been approved by the DMV for the test, whose results will be electronically sent to the New York DMV’s offices for license renewal.
Mail RenewalThe first step is to pass a vision test received the email notification to renew your license. You will next fill out the renewal notice and then make the payment depending on your driver’s license class.
In-Person RenewalWhy not get some face to face time. If you have a CDL you don't really have a choice. Holders of a New York commercial driver’s license (CDL), can only renew it at a DMV office.The following factors will also require you to renew your license at a DMV office physically:
- You wish to have your standard license converted into an enhanced driver license (EDL)
- You are a holder of a restricted/ conditional license
- Your driver’s license is indicated, "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO."
- Wish to have the photo in your license updated
- Are a current participant of the ignition interlock device program
- Possess an expired Temporary Visitor’s license and can prove extension permission from the INS.