Michigan Driver Improvement CourseFollowing are the steps necessary to attend a Michigan Basic Driver Improvement Course online to keep traffic ticket points from appearing on your driving record and to receive an insurance premium reduction (if applicable):
- Pay your Michigan traffic ticket fines, per the instructions on your traffic citation.
- Confirm your eligibility for Michigan ticket dismissal. Ensure that you have received an eligibility letter from MI Department of State indicating that you are eligible to take the Michigan Basic Driver Improvement Course (BDIC).
- Review the list of approved Approved Michigan Basic Driver Improvement Course Sponsors.
- Choose the best Michigan driver improvement course online for you.
- Register for the Michigan defensive driving course online.
- Take and complete the MI BDIC at your own pace. You may complete the entire course in one day or take the course in incremental sessions over several months – you make the choice. Just make sure that you complete the course prior to your course completion deadline assigned by the Michigan Department of State.
- Log back into the Michigan BDI course online 30 minutes after you complete the course to download and print a copy of your certificate of completion for your records. If your insurance company provides a rate discount for taking a defensive driving course, print an extra copy to submit to your insurance company to process your rate reduction.
- Your successful completion of the Michigan Driver Improvement Course will be electronically reported to the Michigan Department of State on your behalf.