Below are the options available to you for Lexington traffic tickets as well as our recommended best choice for your Lexington traffic citation:
Complete a KYTC-Approved Traffic School Course
Attending a Kentucky Transportation Cabinet approved traffic school is the fastest and most reliable way to handle your Lexington traffic ticket. You will avoid points from appearing on your driving record and keep your insurance rates from going up.
You will still be required to pay the whole ticket fine. When paying the fine, you will be given the option to take a Lexington traffic school. We offer KY Traffic School Online. This is a simple option that can be done 24/7 from your computer without having to leave your home.
To pay your ticket/request to attend traffic school or to request an extension, you may do so in the following ways:
- Letter/Phone. You should have received an eligibility letter from the KYTC that states you are eligible to take KY traffic school. If you did not receive a letter, call them at: 502-564-1257 and ask for a traffic school due date.
- In person. Check your ticket to see what Lexington Court your ticket was assigned to. You can also request installment payments for the cost of the ticket. Your traffic school dismissal will not be entered by the court until the entire balance is paid in full.
- Have your ticket and driver license information ready to find your citation information.
What to Do after Completing Traffic School:
Once you complete your online course, you are almost done. Your traffic school course completion will be electronically transmitted to the KYTC. You will be responsible for submitting your proof of completion certificate if your court requires you.
Five Things to Look for When Choosing a Traffic School:
- Is it licensed by the KYTC?
- Will they process your completion certificate before your due date?
- Are there any hidden fees? If the pricing seems too good to be true, it might be. Make sure the price includes reporting, certificate, customer support, etc.
- Does the school offer 24/7 support? If you’re cutting close to your due date and have a question, you’ll want to speak to knowledgeable customer support.
- Is it easy to use? Not all courses are created equal. Make sure the course will save you progress when you need to stop and take a break. Also, make sure you can access the course on any electronic device at any time.
Other Options You Have for Your Traffic Tickets
Pay your citation:
Traffic ticket fines must be paid prior to the due date or penalties will incur. If you pay your ticket fee, you will not be allowed to attend traffic school.
Fight the ticket:
If you feel you are innocent of the violation, you may contest your citation by appearing in court and entering a plea of not guilty. To do this, you must:
- Submit a written request for a court trial.
- Pay the full amount of bail, which is indicated on the notice you should have received in the mail.
Your written request for a court trial, along with a check for the full bail amount may be submitted to the court clerk’s office in person or by sending to the court address listed on your ticket. If you are declared innocent of the violation by the judge, your traffic ticket will be dismissed, and your fines will be refunded to you by the Tallahassee traffic court. Keep in mind that if you choose this option, some judges won’t let you enroll into traffic school.
If you do decide to fight your ticket, you have two options:
- Appear in court to fight it.
- Have trial by declaration by preparing your case in writing and sending it in.