Whether you were pulled over while cruising down the Lincoln Highway or issued a citation for barreling down a backroad near Evansville, dealing with a Indiana speeding ticket probably isn't your idea of a great time. That's for a good reason. Not only can a speeding ticket in Indiana put a severe dent in your wallet, but you'll also be assessed points that could result in a license suspension or worse.
Your Indiana speeding citation will vary based on where you received your ticket, how fast you were going, and whether or not you were speeding in a school or work zone. Expect to pay at least $44.50 and as much as $74.50 or more depending on your circumstances.
If you are unemployed and need assistance this program will help get you back on your feet.
- $48,600 in total benefits
- You may be eligible to receive financial benefits
- Take action now before funds run out in your area
So, what determines the penalties you're facing if you're issued a speeding ticket in Indiana?. Let's take a look:
Section 8 Assistance
Section 8 Housing Assistance – Get Your Section 8 Application Requirements Guide.
- Clear & Simple Section 8 Housing Information
- FREE guide provides helpful information about how to apply for benefits
- Free Service
INDIANA SPEEDING TICKET COSTS:
- 1 - 15 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $44.50 fine and 2 points added
- 11 - 15 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $30 fine and 3 points added
- 16 - 25 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $64.50 fine and 4 points added
- 1 - 15 m.p.h. over the speed limit in a school zone: $54.50 fine and 4 points added
- 16 - 25 m.p.h. over the speed limit in a school zone: $74.50 fine and 4 points added
- 1 - 15 m.p.h. over the speed limit in a neighborhood: $64.50 fine and 2 points added
In addition to the listed fines, you will have to pay court costs. These can vary based on the individual county, municipality, or court your case is being heard in. The same is true of speeding penalties you may be assessed.
In addition to the above graduated penalties, Indiana has an absolute speed limit law. You may not travel faster than the following speeds in the following circumstances:
INDIANA ABSOLUTE SPEED THRESHOLDS:
- Maximum Allowed Speed in Alleys: 15 m.p.h.
- Maximum Allowed Speed in Urban Districts: 30 m.p.h.
- Maximum Allowed Speed in Residential Districts: 25 m.p.h.
- Maximum Allowed Speed on State Highways w/ 4 or more lanes: 60 m.p.h.
- Maximum Allowed Speed Indiana Finance Authority Highway: 65 m.p.h.
- Maximum Allowed Speed on Interstate Highways: 70 m.p.h.
How does the Indiana driver's license points system work?
Points you receive will remain on your license for 2 years. If you accumulate 18 or more points within a 2 years you face possible license probation or suspension. Additionally, if you are convicted of any 3 moving violations, of any point value, within 1 year, you may be called to a hearing to determine your license eligibility.
Individual courts, judges, and law enforcement have a lot of leeway in determining the penalties you may face. In addition, certain circumstances can carry extra monetary and points penalties:
- If you are convicted of driving more than 25 m.p.h. over the speed limit you may be charged with reckless driving and 6 points will be added to your license.
- If you are convicted of driving more than 25 m.p.h. over the speed limit in a school or construction zone constitutes a Type B infraction, and will come with additional fees and penalties.
How to Address a Speeding Ticket in Indiana
No one likes getting a speeding ticket, but failing to address it can cause long-term problems for the state of your license, your insurance rate, and potentially, your freedom. Getting ahead of the issue is the best course of action, and the first step in doing so is finding out exactly what you're dealing with.
Receiving a speeding ticket in Texas doesn't have to break the bank, or create long term complications you'd rather not deal with. In many cases, taking an IN BMV approved driver safety program will be your best option. Whichever path you choose to follow knowing what you're up against in terms of fees, fines, and penalties as well as the options you have to minimize them is the first step to putting your troubles behind you.
- Curious about speeding ticket fines in Alabama? Find out the costs and more at How much is a Speeding Ticket in Alabama?!