Whether you were pulled over while cruising down the Blue Ridge Parkway or issued a citation for barreling down a backroad near Norfolk, dealing with a Virginia speeding ticket probably isn't your idea of a great time. That's for a good reason. Not only can a speeding ticket in Virginia put a severe dent in your wallet, but you'll also be assessed points that could result in a license suspension or worse.
So, what penalties are you facing if you're issued a speeding ticket in Virginia?. Let's take a look:
VIGINIA GENERAL SPEEDING TICKET COSTS:
- 5 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $92 fine and -4 points
- 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $122 fine and -4 points
- 15 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $152 fine and -4 points
- 20 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $183 fine + additional fees and -6 points + a reckless driving charge
VIGINIA SCHOOL/WORK ZONE SPEEDING TICKET COSTS:
- 5 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $97 fine and -4 points
- 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $132 fine and -4 points
- 15 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $167 fine and -4 points
- 20 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $202 fine + additional fees and -6 points + a reckless driving charge
VIGINIA RESIDENTIAL ZONE SPEEDING TICKET COSTS:
- 5 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $102 fine and -4 points
- 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $142 fine and -4 points
- 15 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $182 fine and -4 points
- 20 m.p.h. over the speed limit: $222 fine + additional fees and -6 points + a reckless driving charge
How does the Virginia driver's license points system work?
The Virginia driver’s license points system works a little differently than other states. Every driver begins with a 0-point balance. You receive an additional point for each year that you drive without being convicted of a moving violation. These points can continue to accrue until you reach a total of +5.
Lavish Financial Assistance
Get Your Piece Of The Billion Dollars In Assistance Awarded Each Year – Find The Best Financial Assistance For You.
- Free Personal Loan Assistance
- Free Assistance Resources
- Free Debt Assistance
Each basic violation for which you are found guilty will subtract 2 points from your total. A basic speeding ticket, defined by driving between 10 and 19 mph above the posted limit, will subtract 4 points from your total. Any form of reckless driving carries a 6 point penalty.
Group One Freedom Card
Platinum Card Available – We say yes to the credit you deserve, plus benefits exclusive to our members.
- Are you tired of being denied?
- No Credit, Bad Credit? NO PROBLEM!
- No Employment or Credit Check
You will face a 6-month probationary period, among other penalties, if you reach -12 points. At that time, you will be given the option to take a driver improvement course to add points back to your license. Additionally, once every two years you are eligible to take a similar course to add 5 points to your total.
Individual courts, judges, and law enforcement have a lot of leeway in determining the penalties you may face. A first-time speeding ticket could carry some serious costs and points added to your license depending on the circumstances in which you received it.
The following cases can carry additional penalties:
- Speeding 20 m.p.h. or more over the speed limit will carry an automatic reckless driving charge
- Driving 80 m.p.h. or faster in any zone will result in a reckless driving charge
- You may be fined up to $30 for driving slower than the posted speed limit
- Curious about speeding ticket fines in Alabama? Find out the costs and more at How much is a Speeding Ticket in Alabama?!
How to Address a Speeding Ticket in Virginia
No one likes getting a speeding ticket, but failing to address it can cause long-term problems for the state of your license, your insurance rate, and potentially, your freedom. Getting ahead of the issue is the best course of action, and the first step in doing so is finding out exactly what you're dealing with. You have 40 days to pay or contest your ticket in Virginia. If you fail to do so within this amount of time a judge may issue a warrant for your arrest, so pay your speeding tickets!
Receiving a speeding ticket in Virginia doesn't have to break the bank, or create long term complications you'd rather not deal with. In many cases, taking a VA DMV approved defensive driving course will be your best option. Whichever path you choose to follow knowing what you're up against in terms of fees, fines, and penalties as well as the options you have to minimize them is the first step to putting your troubles behind you.
speeding ticket in virginia
If you don't want demerit points from your driving record, then you need to follow the virginia point system and pay your fines for speeding tickets. If you don't pay your traffic ticket fines you will get points on your driving record. Law enforcement officers in dale city recommend a traffic defense course that has information contained on penalties for speeding.
virginia ticket fine
For the commonwealth of virginia there are driving privileges such as getting a virginia speeding ticket lawyer. If you violate a traffic law and you get your ticket dismissed, your insurance rates wont increase. However, if you violate a traffic law and you don't get your ticket dismissed, your insurance rates might increase. If you drive faster than the posted speed limit, under the virginia code, that is considered a speeding violation.
ticket lawyer for traffic ticket
There are different types of speeding offenses. Driving past the posted speed limit is one, reckless driving by speed is another. You need to pay fines for speeding tickets to get them cleared from your driving record. Gradn larceny, drug offense, violent crimes such as sex crimes, and some traffic violations will result in demerit points.