Which California course should I choose?
See why over 3 million students picked us as the number one choice...
Written by professional Hollywood writers and fueled by laughs from the Improv Comedy Club
Cut The Cord
Access your Driver's ed course anywhere, anytime, and from any device.
We just ask that you don't do it while driving.
Based on a curriculum that is proven to reduce crashes and driving violations.
In order to apply for a California provisional (learner’s) permit, you are required to complete a Driver Education course through a DMV-licensed driving school. In addition, you must be at least 15 ½, but under 18 years of age. If you are a California teen between 15 ½ and 18 years old and are wanting to get your California learner’s permit, this is the right course for you! Completing your California Driver's ed online is the simplest way to satisfy California state requirements and get you on the road!
Improv's California Driver's Ed Course is Fast, Fun, Done!
- ✔ CA DMV License No. 4611
- ✔ Fun and simple.
- ✔ Take the course at your convenience from home, or anywhere using a mobile device or tablet. Complete the 30-hour course in one sitting, or spend as much time as you need to learn and study for your permit exam.
- ✔ Helpful tools for both teens and parents! See Helpful Resources below.
- ✔ Comedy Breaks: Take a break to watch some funny videos related to driving!
- ✔ Prepares you to easily pass your California permit test.
- ✔ Money Back Guarantee.
Helpful Resources for Both Parents and Teens
Teens: Take our Free 50-question California DMV Practice Test as many times as you need to feel confident for the real thing! You will find the practice test on the course Table of Contents.
Parents and Teens:
What is the California Driver’s Ed Course?
The California driver’s ed course is a California driver education course that all teens in the state must complete to get their California driver’s permit.
Is California Driver's License Direct by Improv Licensed by the CA DMV?
Absolutely! Our easy to take CA driver’s ed course is a licensed CA DMV course and meets all of the requirements to get the first-time driver’s permit in California.
Does your course include a free practice exam that I can take?
Yes. Our California driver’s ed course includes a free 100-question practice exam. This lets you know precisely what kind of questions to expect! This will be a big advantage in your written exam preparation.
How old do I have to be to take the CA Driver's education course?
This course is for new teen Driver's between the age of 15 ½ to 17 ½ .
Do I have to take Driver's education in person or can I take this online course?
Per CA DMV regulations, you may take the CA driver’s education course online rather than in a classroom setting. It’s much more convenient, cost effective, and way quicker (not to mention less boring) to take the course online.
How long is the course?
The course is designed to take 30 hours to complete, but the actual course time will depend on the student (how fast you read, retain information, etc.
Do I have to take quizzes in this course?
No! There is a short 3-question quiz at the end of each chapter for review purposes only.
Do I have to take a final exam in this course?
No! There is no final exam required to complete this course.
Can I take the course in increments or do I have to take the whole course at once?
No! That’s one of the reasons California teens love our course! Driver’s ed students appreciate the fact that they are in the driver’s seat when it comes to taking their CA driver’s ed course!
- ✔ Take the course in increments as time permits rather than all in one sitting. Our California driver’s ed course is designed for convenience and to work around your busy teen schedule!
- ✔ You decide when and where you will study. The course can be taken on computers, laptops, iPads and most mobile devices.
How long does it take to get my Certificate of Completion?
Once you complete the course, you can instantly download a proof of completion. However, the CA DMV requires that you submit the original certificate of completion to them (DL 400C) when applying for your driver’s permit. As such, your original certificate must be mailed to you and will be mailed to you the day after you complete the course. Expedited shipping options are also available.
What do I do with my Certificate of Completion when I receive it in the mail?
Hold on to your original driver’s ed Certificate of Completion (DL 400C), as you will need to present it to the DMV at the time you take your provisional permit exam.
How long does it take to get my Certificate of Completion?
Once you complete the course, you can instantly download a temporary proof of completion, but this is for your records and cannot be used at the DMV. You need the original Certificate of Completion (DL 400C) when applying for your driver’s permit. We will mail original DL 400C Certificate of Completion the day after you complete the course, so watch for an envelope from Improv Traffic School because that will contain the official DMV form that you need to bring with you to your appointment. Expedited shipping options are available if you need it faster than First Class mail. If you're near the Woodland Hills area, call us to arrange to pick up your official Certificate of Completion.
What happens after I complete CA Driver's education course?
Simple…once you have completed your CA driver’s education course and behind-the-wheel training course, you can apply for your CA driver’s and then start your actual training behind the steering wheel when accompanied by a licensed parent, guardian, or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older.
ABOUT THE COURSE
How do I get my provisional (learner’s) permit after taking the online driving school driver’s ed course?
- ✔ Must be at least 15 ½, but under 18 years of age
- ✔ Must have completed California Driver Education through a DMV-licensed driving school (like us)
- ✔ Complete DMV Form DL 44.
- ✔ An original California Driver's License Application (Form DL 44) form must be completed (no photocopies). The DMV does not allow you to download this form online because each form contains a unique barcode which must be scanned by the DMV employee at your DMV driver’s permit appointment. To obtain a Driver License Application, you may either pick one up at your local DMV office or you may call the DMV’s Automated Telephone Service at (800) 777-0133 to have a form mailed to you. The automated service is available 24/7. If you are under 18 years of age, you will need to have your parents or guardians sign the application.
- ✔ Make your appointment at the DMV by going in person to a DMV office or making an appointment online.
- ✔ Either your social security card or birth certificate
- ✔ Your completed Form DL 44 signed by both you and your parents/guardians
- ✔ Proper completion form from your California Driver Education and/or Driver Training class (Form DL 400C if you took the course through an DMV-licensed online course)
- ✔ DMV Application fee
- ✔ Vision exam
- ✔ Written traffic laws and signs exam.
- ✔ Be 16 years old
- ✔ Have held your permit for a minimum of six months
- ✔ Have completed driver education
- ✔ Have completed 6 hours of professional driver training
- ✔ Have completed 50 hours of practice with an adult 25 years or older. The adult must have a valid California driver license and certify to the 50 hours of practice. At least 10 of the 50 hours must have been done at night.
- ✔ Make a driving test Appointment(s), as driving tests are not given without an appointment. You may also call (800) 777–0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday–Friday, to make a driving test appointment.
- ✔ Take and pass your driving test. If you fail your driving test, you must wait two weeks before you can take the test again. You have three chances to pass.
- ✔ Provide proof of financial responsibility
- ✔ transport passengers under 20 years of age at any time, for the first twelve months.
- ✔ drive between 11 pm and 5 am for the first twelve months.
What to bring with you to the DMV
Note: This fee entitles you to three exams of any type within the 12–month period and pays for both the instruction permit and the driver license. If all requirements are not met within the 12–month period, the application becomes void and all steps must be completed again.
Exams you will need to pass at your DMV Appointment
There are 46 questions on the test. A passing score is at least 38 correct answers.
Note: You will have 3 chances to pass the written test. If you happen to fail, you will have to wait an additional 7 days before you are allowed to take it once again. Once you pass your exam, you will need to give your thumb print and get your picture taken!
After I get my provisional (learner’s) permit, can I drive a car by myself or with my friends?
No. Remember, with a learner’s permit, it is illegal for you to drive alone at any time. You may only drive if a parent, guardian, spouse or adult 25 years of age or older who has a valid California Driver's license is present with you in the vehicle. He or she must sit in a position close enough to take control of the vehicle, if necessary.
GETTING YOUR CALIFORNIA Driver's LICENSE
How long do I have to wait to get my California Driver's License?
Once you have held your permit for 6 months, you may take the driving test to receive your provisional Driver’s License.
Before being eligible to take your driving test you must:
What do I need to do to get my regular driver’s license?
What happens after I pass my driving test?
After you pass your driving test, you will be issued an interim license valid for 90 days until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your license after 60 days, call (800) 777–0133 to check on the status. Have your interim license with you to provide information when requested.
ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR CALIFORNIA Driver's LICENSE
Are there any restrictions on my first driver’s license?
Yes, there are some Provisional Driving Restrictions to your California Driver's License for the first 12 months:
You must be accompanied and supervised by a licensed parent, guardian or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older or a licensed or certified driving instructor when you:
CA Approved Driver's Ed
Get Your Learner's Permit 100% Online