What do I need to register my car in NY?You must be asking yourself; what do I need when registering a car in NY? NYS DMV registration requires;
Step 1: Insure Your VehicleThis is mandatory before registration. You must register your vehicle within 6 months (180 days) of the effective date on your Insurance Identification Card.
Step 2: Visit the DMV with these documents
- New York State Insurance Identification Card. New York State does not accept insurances from other states.
- Complete the NY DMV registration form (Form MV-82) Your
- Present the title of your vehicle.
- Complete the claim for sales tax exemption to be exempted of tax if you bought the vehicle before moving to New York.
- Make a payment of the registration, which is based on your vehicle's weight.
- Proof of incorporation if you are registering the vehicle for an enterprise.
- Name and address of the lienholder
- Number of liens (if available)
- Date when the title was issued by DMV
Duplicate title NYAs a car owner, application of a duplicate title can be done online, through the mail and in person at your local DMV office. One can also order a duplicate title online at the DMV website if;
- You own the title
- A title has not been processed in a span of 15 days.
- There are no other changes made with the data listed on the title.
- The address on your registration and title match your current mailing address.
Step 3: Collect these documents from the DMVThese documents are ready to be provided within 1-2 weeks after registration. They include;
- Sticker registration.
- Registration document
- 1 or 2 vehicle plates
- A sticker for 10-day inspection extension (This applies to those who did not get the vehicle from a New York State dealer)
Step 4: Have an inspection of your vehicle.It's mandatory that all vehicles in registered in New York State must have a safety inspection at a station licensed with DMV. This is done every 12 months or when the ownership of the vehicle changes/transferred.
FeesAs mentioned earlier, the fees charged vary on the vehicle weight and your residence. First-time registration fees usually include
- Registration transfer fee or vehicle plate fee
- The sales tax
- In most states, a vehicle use tax
- A fee for the title certificate
- A 1 or 2-year registration fee, varying on the type of registration
Renewing Your Vehicle Registration in New YorkSurprisingly, renewing your existing registration in New York is a way quicker and simpler. Drivers in New York often receive a notice of renewal and can renew their registration online. To renew registration in NY, you simply need to visit the DMV website on the renewal page. However, you will need to apply for a new registration if; - Your registration has been revoked or suspended - Your vehicle hasn’t been inspected in the last 12 months - Your registration has been expired for more than a year
For information on Titling and Registering a Car in Florida, click: Titling and Registering a Car in Florida
For information on How to Register a Car in California, click: How to Register a Car in California
- For information on How to Change Your California Address, Click : How to Change Your California Address
- For More Information About California License Plate, Click : California License Plate Check
- Learn all about California ID Cards, their application process, and important details you need to know in our comprehensive guide.
- Discover your NY Expired Suspended License status with ease and stay on the road legally.
- TN Registration for New and Current Residents.