What is a License Renewal?A license renewal is when the owner of a driver’s license updates their identification and certifies their status as a license holder for a future, extended amount of time. This is to ensure the information and possession of the license are current. While driving without a renewed license, you could face fees for violating the laws of the road.
How do you Renew your License?Now that you know what a license renewal is, how exactly do you do it? For Florida, you can renew your license several ways: online, through the mail, or in person at the local DMV office branch. Each process has its pros and cons. However, the state recommends to renew your Florida license online through the GoRenew.com service. Doing so will save you a trip to the local branch for a Florida DMV renewal. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FDHSMV) permits license holders the opportunity to update Florida drivers licenses 18-months prior to the expiration date. When you fail to renew before your license expires, you could be paying additional late fees. When you renew your license, you will have to provide the correct documentation and payment of a renewal fee.
Requirements to Renew your Florida LicenseMeeting the necessary requirements will help you renew your license. You will have to provide specific documentation to provide proof of your identification. The following Florida drivers license renewal documents are required by the DMV before processing your renewal:
- Social Security Number
- Residence in the state of Florida
- Proof of identification (such as a passport)
Associated Fees with Renewing your LicenseEveryone must pay a fee to renew their license. In the state of Florida, the DMV advises that you call ahead to ensure the correct payment amount before arriving. The standard fee for renewing your Class E license is $48. However, depending on the class of license you’re updating, you could pay more. You can also encounter late fees, if you are renewing after the expiration date on your driver’s license. Delinquent license renewals can face a minimum charge of $63.
Renewing a Suspended LicenseIf your license is suspended, you could still renew it. In other words, the DMV doesn’t provide much excuse not to renew your license. You will have to follow the same procedure of renewing your license as a non-suspended 13license holder will. You will also have to provide:
- Your current driver’s license
- Social security card
- A utility bill in your name
For information on California Drivers License Renewals, click:California License Renewals All You Need To Know
For information on California Driver’s License, click:California Driver’s License
- For information About Florida Drivers License Check click: Florida Drivers License Check
- Ensure your driving record is up-to-date with our step-by-step guide on "How to Perform a Florida Drivers License Check" and stay informed about the status of your Florida driver's license.
- For More Information On Florida Car Registration, Click : Florida Car Registration: Titling and Registering a Car in Florida Is Easy (Car Registrations in Florida)
- Lost your Arizona license? Learn how to easily obtain a new one online with our comprehensive guide to replacing lost licenses in Arizona