There are humorous top ten lists aplenty, but this isn’t one of them. At least, it’s not funny for folks who live and work in and around the New York City area.
A new study conducted by the NYU’s Rudin Center for Transportation Policy & Management and based on U.S. Transportation statistics, lists the top 10 worst traffic spots in New York City. In what is surely not a surprise to the folks who live there, the worst areas not located within the five boroughs of NYC, but in the areas just outside; around the periphery of the heart of NYC. This makes perfect sense, as drivers look for routes that avoid what they believe to be the worst traffic areas, they actually create new worst areas.
Of course defensive drivers in New York understand that traffic or no traffic, it makes sense to allow plenty of time to get to your destination so there’s no reason to give in to the temptation of speeding. Safe driving becomes not so much an accident (pardon the pun) but a habit.
Anyone who has completed an defensive driving NY online course also understands the importance of defensive driving, so they can avoid further driving citations.
The new study offers a list of the most congested areas and the worst possible times to be driving through them. The best idea is to avoid these areas during certain times of day. And if you do get caught in a heavily congested area just relax, take it easy and try to be patient.
Here is the complete list and times of day when the traffic is heaviest:
- Whitestone Expressway: Exit 14/Linden Place to Whitestone Bridge (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Hutchinson Parkway: Cross-Country Parkway to Mamaroneck Road (When to avoid: 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.)
- Pulaski Skyway: I-95 to Tonnelle Avenue (When to avoid: 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.)
- I-84 near Waterbury, Conn.: Interstate 691 to Austin Road (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Major Deegan Expressway: Van Cortlandt Park to I-95 (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- I-95 in the Bronx/Manhattan: Exit 13/Conner Street to Fort Lee, N.J. (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Conn. Turnpike in New Haven: Marsh Hill Road to Ella Grasso Blvd (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Major Deegan Expressway: I-278 to I-95 (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- FDR Drive 34th Street to 116th Street (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Henry Hudson Parkway: 72nd Street to George Washington Bridge (When to avoid: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)