One of the most difficult things to master when learning how to drive is parallel parking. Unfortunately, we all must know how to parallel park in order to earn our driver’s license. Parallel parking can be a bit overwhelming at first, but with these instructions and a little bit of patience, you should be able to master the art of parallel parking in a jiffy!
Follow These Steps to Perfectly Parallel Park Every Time
- Once you find your parking spot, signal your intention with your blinker and position your vehicle so that the back tires of your car are aligned with the back bumper of the car you intend to park behind
- Shift your vehicle into reverse, and turn your wheels as far as they will go to the right
- Slowly back up into the parking space and stop when your vehicle is at a 45-degree angle
- Next, turn your wheels all the way to the left
- Continue to reverse and back up into the spot until your vehicle is parallel with the curb
Your vehicle should now be safely parked within a foot of the curb and will get better over time as you become more experienced. Don’t hesitate to practice at home using cones or cardboard boxes to mark your “parking spot.”
Perfect Your Parallel Parking to Avoid Parking Tickets!
If you should happen to receive a parking ticket due to your lack of parallel parking skills, you should definitely consider enrolling in a defensive driving traffic school. An online accredited defensive driving school can help reduce points on your license, as well as keep your auto insurance rates down. In addition, an online traffic school can also help teens who are just learning to drive and parallel park become safer more educated drivers.