New Driver Steps for Kentucky Drivers Under Age 18
If you have never had a driver’s license before and are between 16 and 18 years old, here are some steps so you can take to get your Kentucky Driver’s License.
• Students must also get and present a School Compliance Form if under 18 years old.
• Potential drivers need to obtain a driver’s learning permit
• If you are under 18 years of age, a parent will have to give consent for you to get a driver’s learning permit.
• Students will also need to complete a Kentucky Drivers Ed course.
Drivers Moving to Kentucky for the First Time
If you’re already an experienced driver and just relocating to Kentucky, here are a few steps you will need to take to get your Kentucky Driver’s License.
• You have 30 days to transfer your license.
• Complete an application.
• Show proof of identity and Kentucky residency.
• You will need to take a written exam and it is recommended to study the Kentucky Driver Manual prior to taking the exam as you need at least an 80% to pass.
• Kentucky Drivers Ed courses are available if you’d like to freshen up on your knowledge, skills and good driving habits.
Driver’s Learning Permit
A driver’s learning permit allows you to drive with supervised driving to practice and learn about the responsibility of operating a motor vehicle.
To obtain your learning permit, you’ll need first to study the Kentucky Driver Manual. After you feel you have studied and are knowledgeable, then you will need to take and pass a written exam. You need a score of 80% or more to pass. This exam will test your knowledge of traffic laws, road signage and safe driving methods. If you do not pass the written test, you may take it as soon as the next day.
Learning Permit Restrictions if you are younger than 18 years old
• No driving between 12 am, and 6 am
• You cannot drive with more than one person under age 20 in the vehicle with you unless they are related.
• You can only drive when with a licensed driver 21 or older sitting next to you
• Complete your practice driving log with the required practice driving
Kentucky Driver’s Education Course
You can begin the Kentucky Drivers Education course after you receive your driver’s learning permit. As you participate in a Kentucky Drivers Ed course, you’ll learn all about driver safety and awareness. This course can reduce your insurance premiums, depending on your insurance provider. The knowledge you gain can provide you with wisdom and confidence.
All of this can help prepare you for the challenges of passing the driving test to obtain your Kentucky driving license. It also helps prepare you for future driving circumstances when you are driving alone.
Get Your Driver’s License Today
You may be read to get your Kentucky Drivers License. This means you have had your learner’s permit to practice driving for at least 180 days. You have also completed a Kentucky driver’s ed course. When you enroll in a Kentucky Drivers Ed course, it is a huge step forward toward obtaining your Kentucky Driver’s license and becoming a safe Kentucky driver.