What is Online Traffic School?
Online traffic school is a common term for traffic safety courses. Depending on the state or local it can be called different names. Some examples are Driver Improvement Course, Defensive Driving Online Course, Traffic Safety Course, etc.
Why Online Traffic School?
The main reason most people take traffic school online is for diversion of a traffic ticket. In other words, it’s a part of a plea with the court with the incentive of reducing their traffic ticket fine or not reporting it to the DMV so points do not go on the driving record (thus helping to keep insurance premium rates lower) by completing an approved driver improvement course also known as traffic school online, by the due date. Incentives vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but the concept is the same. All online traffic schools are private entities and charge a fee. Traffic school courses and defensive driving courses range from four to eight hours and, depending on jurisdiction and local rules, can be taken online or you can take a classroom driving course. Incentives vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but the concept is the same.
Who Regulates Online Traffic Schools?Again, depending on the local jurisdiction, online traffic schools can be regulated by a local court or be a part of a state-wide program. Some of the larger state-wide traffic school programs and traffic school courses are:
- Arizona Defensive Driving Program - Arizona Supreme Court - Ticket dismissal
- California Traffic Violator School Program (TVS) - California DMV - Ticket dismissal and point masking
- Florida Basic Driver Improvement Program (BDI) - Florida DMV - Ticket dismissal and point masking
- Idaho Traffic Safety Program - Idaho DMV - Negligent Drivers with multiple traffic tickets
- New Jersey Defensive Driver Program - NJ DMV - Point and Insurance Reduction
- New York Defensive Driving Program - NY DMV - Point and Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP)
- Texas Defensive Driving Course - Texas Education Agency (TEA) - Ticket dismissal, insurance reduction and point masking
What is the Difference Between Online and a Classroom Course?Other than the obvious, all programs must follow the same rules (such as finishing by the court due date), and guidelines, are very similar and will stop the points from going on your driving record. Most of the online traffic school courses contain a combination of text, audio and video and require a short exit quiz at the end of the course. The type of presentation and difficulty will vary from online traffic school to online traffic school. However, required course time and passing score requirements are dictated by the licensing authority and are the same for all traffic schools. The difference between traffic school online and a classroom traffic school course basically comes down to convenience. For example, you can complete the defensive driving course at your convenience rather than all in one sitting because the online course allows you to complete the course in segments by simply logging in and out as your time permits. You will also have access to customer support 24 hours a day for our online traffic school. Once finished by your due date, the traffic school online will give you a proof of completion certificate for your court and will notify the DMV to stop the points from going on your driving record. As an added bonus, Improv Traffic School also provides free VIP tickets to the Improv Comedy Club upon completion of the online course.
What are the typical subjects covered in a traffic school course?A typical traffic school online course is designed to be a refresher driving course for an experienced driver who has a driving record and stresses the importance of basic driving rules and techniques. Examples of such topics include:
- State Driving Rules
- Defensive Driving Techniques
- Accident Prevention Techniques
- Consequences of Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs
- Coping with Aggressive Driving and Road Rage
Good luck and make sure you complete your online traffic school course by the court due date!